AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maiden names?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 2/12/2016 19:08 (#5107320 - in reply to #5106788)
Subject: RE: Maiden names?

North of London
Not sure if it is related to 'French' specifically but it is the law in Quebec but I do not think it is in other provinces.
Would have to research it for specifics but think there was legislation passed in the 1970ies?? setting out how the names would be handled and as I understand a person has to go through hoops to change their name. Not as simple as just applying for a name change after a wedding like my wife did almost 50 years ago. I do know there have been some men who changed their name to their wife's surname and I know a couple who have the same birth surname and were unrelated so no name change required. There are quite a few married women who use a hyphenated surname but that will get unwieldily after a couple generations.
Can you imagine Smith-Jones marrying Baker-Johnston then think what their kids will have for a hyphenated surname

Gets confusing.

That said there are no laws that I am aware of that force anyone to change their name.

I have a sister who changed her name for first marriage and changed it back after a divorce and it was not even a contested divorce as she still considers her first a friend.
When she married again she retained her birth surname although she sometimes uses a hyphenated version for convenience I guess as officially she has only her birth surname.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)