AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maiden names?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 2/12/2016 12:30 (#5106651 - in reply to #5106599)
Subject: RE: Maiden names?

Mississippi

pointrow - 2/12/2016 12:03

My  daughter kept here maiden name hyphenated when she got married. When I ask her she said she was proud of her family name wanted to keep it as part of her identity. 
Sounded good to me.

My wife, Debra L. Ferguson, kept her maiden name (also sometimes referred to as "birth-given name" when we got married 42 years ago.

No hyphens and my last name wasn't added to anything she has ever legally signed. Realtors and bankers say they come across couples like us now and then and deal with it fine. 

For professional and personal reasons it was the right choice. Aside from her career, she was the last Ferguson in her family's line. She said I suggested she do it. I don't remember that but never had a problem with the concept. I guess I'm secure in my masculinity. 80)

Our kids' last name is Taylor (although our daughter is married now and took her husband's last name).

It was a bit difficult at times for the kids to explain to their friends or teachers why their mother had a different last name but it won't be something they'll bring up if they ever go into deep analysis. No permanent mental scars. Now, looking back, they think it was kinda neat.

As it happened, a couple who lived 15 or 20 miles from where I grew up did the same thing, and they were probably 40 years older than me. They owned and operated a plantation but I think the wife was involved somehow in the arts.

A woman is not required, at least in Mississippi, to take her husband's name. 

Edited by Owen Taylor 2/12/2016 12:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)