AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hobbies for old farmers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

DRester
Posted 2/4/2016 19:51 (#5088764 - in reply to #5087793)
Subject: RE: Hobbies for old farmers?

Franklinton, LA
I am 74 years old and I have been retired for a little over 11 years. When I close one chapter of my life I try to open a new chapter and not look back with regrets about what I did or did not do. I also believe that about 80% of any endeavor is having enough nerve to try.

My wife and I have been very fortunate to have good health so we started retirement by gutting and remodeling the 1950s ranch style house where she grew up. Since retiring we have also traveled in 38 states plus 2 provinces in Canada. I have worked 4 years part time as a consultant designing farm tillage tools.

We have tried to make the best of whatever happens. After Hurricane Katrina we had a lot of damage to the timber on our farm. I took the chain saw and tractor and salvaged a few logs. We got a contractor with a portable sawmill to saw the logs. More recently I have been using the hardwood lumber to make a few items in my hobby woodworking shop and then sell these items at a farmer's market. This has been a very enjoyable hobby for several reasons.

One of these mornings I will wake up and realize I do not have a job. In the meantime I plan to stay as busy as possible and try different things.

Edited by DRester 2/5/2016 07:29

(_MG_6738.JPG)

(PineLogA11-05.jpg)

(LumberC01-06.jpg)

(Pine&Poplar01-06.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments _MG_6738.JPG (147KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments PineLogA11-05.jpg (174KB - 140 downloads)
Attachments LumberC01-06.jpg (146KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments Pine&Poplar01-06.jpg (138KB - 148 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)