AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yield maps showing positive legacy of past management
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 1/31/2016 13:44 (#5077179 - in reply to #5076981)
Subject: RE: yield maps showing positive legacy of past management

southern MN
My iron is too old to have yield maps so I can't really help.

But I have a 5 acre sand hill in a 65 acre field that does not yield corn often and not ever yields beans that get in the combine hopper.

After fertilizing the field more or less the same several years, that sand hill was only part of the field that was medium in fertility on P and K and others.

The rest of the field had mid to above average yields depending on the weather, and low K, very very low P.

The crop used up whatever I was applying on the good areas, while that sand hill the fert simply built up. It never got much grain hauled off it.

Sorry I do not have that in any sort of material that could be used in a presentation, just compiled in my head from several different soil samples and observations.

I have put the sand hill in alfalfa, where spring rains give me one good cutting, and I have not fertilized it much since as I feel anything higher is just wasted, can invest the fertility dollars on other acres better. In the future I'm looking to run low pop corn on that hill, see if that will pay the bills. As well as small grains, which do well as a minor crop on that sand.

It is a whopping 5 acres, so I know it is just playground for me, not a serious deal.

My farm is glacial till, really the melting glaciers carved it up as a receding lakebed, so most of my farm is a combination of yellow mixed clay knobs and deep peat sloughs between. With this one outcropping of layered sand and limestoney grey pebbles, the sand knob is 12 feet deep so when dry August comes along, everything dies.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)