AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fuel ethanol's next (big) challenge?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

north1
Posted 1/28/2016 10:12 (#5069644 - in reply to #5069103)
Subject: RE: Fuel ethanol's next (big) challenge?

North Dakota
Like a lot of these fringe energy sources as far as I am concerned. They sound great to the fruit and nuts Hollywood crowd in California, but when applied to the general populace throughout the United States it falls on its head.

1. Will not work in half the country unless "global warming" radically changes our climate. I mean really. I live 50 miles from a city and most of the winter it is below freezing. I cannot drive a car most of the winter due to snow accumulation. It is either SUV or pickup with four wheel drive.

2. Batteries don't charge themselves and require an alternate fuel source for the electricity to charge them. Don't know if the energy transfer is economical or not. Certainly solar would not work for this in most of the country.

3. Might work in certain very limited areas, but for most of the "work" that is done in the country it is unfeasible. Construction, agricultural, transportation of goods, manufacturing -those industries where most of the energy is consumed to get things done I just have a hard time seeing it being constructive and useable.

4. Charging time and infrastructure to set charging stations. People today want things now. Not in a few hours or minutes but immediately. When mom and pop have to go to a soccer game and the prius is not charged-goodbye lithium air vehicle. What would it take in infrastructure to set up charging stations throughout the United States? How much government involvement in its various forms would need to be interjected to make it fly(fail)? Dare I say, would it have to be subsidized?(shreek!!)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)