AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flex Rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

obie_iaffa
Posted 1/17/2016 05:50 (#5041561 - in reply to #5041456)
Subject: RE: Flex Rent

NE Iowa
Probably needs to be around $150-$175 if you really want a flex rent to work. Problem I've seen with most flex rents is the landowner wants a base that's top dollar for the area and then the potential for a cherry on top if prices and/or yields rise. Might as well call that a bonus rent. In full disclosure, I've been trying to sell our farms landowners on flex rents the last 4 years and have only had 2 takers and one since went back to a fixed rent. The base for the one that switched back was set when corn was $4.80/bushel. When we wrote the initial flex contract, I wanted to start the base rent that would be workable with $3.50 corn and the landowner wanted nothing to hear of it. When we renegotiated this past August, he said he would do a flex lease, but he would only lower his base rent $5 below what he wanted if we did a fixed price rent. (Example with fictitious numbers: the base rent in the flex contract would have been $225 and he wanted $230 for a fixed rent). I took the fixed rent as I knew the most I would pay was going to be $230. With the flex at $225 base, my rent could have been upwards of $300 if prices rose. I was willing to take a $5 increase in base rent to keep any gravy if it would exist. Anyway, that's the end of my morning rant
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)