AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

quackgrass control in organic field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 1/15/2016 19:28 (#5038655 - in reply to #5038625)
Subject: RE: quackgrass control in organic field

North Central Illinois
Moldboard doesn't do much unless it is already very weakened. I had a few bad patches that I turned under with the moldboard plow this spring that were solid green again two weeks after corn planting. Shallow tillage with a c-shank during hot dry weather is the best. If you can get large pieces of roots to the surface to dry out, that's the best bet. Takes two or three passes 10-14 days apart. Then bury whatever is left with a moldboard plow, or plant a vigorous cover crop. I did this to a very badly infested field last summer and used oats for a cover. No moldboard plow. Disced to incorporate lime and manure in April, then moldboard plowed ahead of corn planting by a day or two. Very little quackgrass survived this treatment and what did withered and went dormant under the corn canopy.
FWIW, I avoid frost seeding clover in wheat where there is quackgrass, because that gives the quack a perfect opportunity to take over again. Those fields get tillage in the heat of summer, followed by a fast growing cover crop.

Edited by Blusteryknollfarm 1/15/2016 19:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)