AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rent negotiations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Big Ben
Posted 1/11/2016 00:25 (#5027228 - in reply to #5027198)
Subject: RE: Rent negotiations

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Clay SEIA - 1/10/2016 21:43

400k seems like a LOT of house, at least in this area- but could be a lot more expensive to put up something basic but reasonably nice in your area.  Otherwise, pretty much agree.  Lots of hating in this thread on wives that don't have an off-farm job, too.  Unless that job has superb health insurance benefits, it might be hard for her to truly earn much more money on top of daycare, travel, and other expenses to beat what she could do with her time at home gardening, cooking, etc.  I'd have to say that side of the equation really boils down to is she a productive homemaker, or is she sitting her butt on the couch with a credit card in hand being a leech? 

I used to think $400k was a lot of house. A local farmer/cattlewoman made the remark to my wife that she'd be surprised how far $500,000 wouldn't go building a custom home. We spent over $300,000 to build the not custom house we live in now back in 2009 because we couldn't find anything on the local market that seemed like a better value. It's a good house but not extravagant, and I'm sure it would cost more to build now. One place we just looked at has a badly dated larger house, 40x60 shop, and a few grain bins on six acres with a "I might let it go" price almost double what we're talking about here.

I have two sisters. Where the younger one lives $400k will have you in thousands of square feet on acreage with a pool and a shop on a hill with a view. Where the older one lives $400.000 might get a 1,600 square foot fixer upper backed up against the freeway. I'm in the middle, in a few different ways.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)