AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rent negotiations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

buddyandkirby
Posted 1/10/2016 21:10 (#5026917 - in reply to #5026355)
Subject: RE: You just dont get it

East central nebraska
When I came back to farm i knew coming in that i would have to make many sacrifices. First of all, I knew to survive in the 80s and 90s that I would have to live a much poorer life and work harder than my cousins in town. I watched as they took vacations, went to college football games on saturdays, never missed a childs sports activity, etc. I was always on the sideline working. Managing land, equipment and money does not entitle any farmer to a lifestyle, period. In my opinion, in the end its about liquidity, solvency and profitability. I hope prices go up and making a living the next few years , but dont count on it. In my neck of the woods most wives (farm and town ) work. In the 80s and 90s our wives had to work, the farms that put every last penny back into the operation and used their wifes income to live on had abetter chance to survive. I dont care or expect anyone to live a certain way, we all have to live amongst our means. I am tired of all the complaining of farmers who say they cant make a living and expect the landlord to immediately lower rents , maybe some need to be lowered. I still farm and havesome conversations with landlords coming my way. Reading some of these threads , some young farmers need to really search why their farming. Did they come back in the boom era because of the money and now they are regretting it. Maybe realize they dont want to make the sacrifices it may take to keep going. I dont know, but to each of you, best of luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)