AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

$15,000,000,000 suit over Keystone pipeline
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

McHusker
Posted 1/7/2016 13:08 (#5018472 - in reply to #5018345)
Subject: RE: $15,000,000,000 suit over Keystone pipeline

Nebraska aka the boondocks
I can't imagine they have any legal standing. But I didn't realize you could sue under nafta. I wonder what body rules on that, if it's the same ones that ruled on cool then look out. Good news is they can stick vw with the bill, since their liability is technically up to 90 billion.

edit, so I looked, this may fall under chapter 11 of NAFTA, which seems to defer to some united nations rules.
Chapter Eleven of the North American Free Trade Agreement (the "NAFTA") contains provisions designed to protect cross-border investors and facilitate the settlement of investment disputes. For example, each NAFTA Party must accord investors from the other NAFTA Parties national (i.e. non-discriminatory) treatment and may not expropriate investments of those investors except in accordance with international law. Chapter Eleven permits an investor of one NAFTA Party to seek money damages for measures of one of the other NAFTA Parties that allegedly violate those and other provisions of Chapter Eleven. Investors may initiate an arbitration against the NAFTA Party under the Arbitration Rules of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law ("UNCITRAL Rules") or the Arbitration (Additional Facility) Rules of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes ("ICSID Additional Facility Rules").

edit, for anyone interested you can look at all the NAFTA cases, http://www.citizen.org/documents/investor-state-chart.pdf

Edited by McHusker 1/7/2016 13:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)