AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger CM 360, Cat 3406 died
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jimgen
Posted 1/6/2016 21:27 (#5017095 - in reply to #5016867)
Subject: RE: Steiger CM 360, Cat 3406 died

central mich

As I recall prior to the E, the 3406 DI had 3 different block #s, 2 different crank #s 4 different piston #s and 3 different head #s. As usual with Cat most of the part number changes are not that significant. Sometimes the part number change is significant but usually not. As I recall not that many different cam part # either.
I have seen several Cat d8n dozers with truck engines installed with no problems. Changed the externals including injection pump.
The reason Cat has so many AR#s is the same engine is used in so many different machines so the AR describes the items hung on the engine for a particular application. How much better was the B over the A? Not much in my opinion. Still have a 3406A 325hp (now with aftercooler and 425hp) in a 1975 359 Pete that many people have asked to buy.

The D8R uses the 3406E and the E engines are even more versatile as to usage from one application to another.
If fact we just had a new C18 in shop. It was considered a generic engine. We set the ECM for generator usage
@ 1800 rpm with no problem and no changes whatsoever to any hardware component. All Cat approved. Lots of options on the engine ECM and we have lots of options on the electronic controls connected the ECM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)