AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger CM 360, Cat 3406 died
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 1/6/2016 17:56 (#5016361 - in reply to #5016331)
Subject: RE: Steiger CM 360, Cat 3406 died

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

MiFarmer275 - 1/6/2016 17:44 Yes I think you are correct on what i will have to do if i just want to throw this in there and make it run. They did tape off all the ports so they have been covered up. I hope I don;t have any worries there the rods and mains where done about 100,000 miles ago but they where hauling gravel trains with it so I will have to pull the pain and look at them. I did not think about the timing differences I will have to go to cat see what I can find out spec wise between the two motors. If I can get the serial number verified. Well my other option id to just use the block and crank and then do a complete major of the motor and build it back to the old motors specs. which i figured i would have between 8 to 10 grand in Cat parts. I might just have to bite the bullet and do it right instead of being cheap about it. Well That explains a little. they tractor is in good shape and needs nothing else except some new rubber on the duals. SO 10,000 is a lot cheaper then a newer 360 hp tractor and i guess i could make it 400hp if i am going to go through the whole motor. The blocks and cranks should not be any different i wouldn't think so I am at least getting that to start a new build. I am only giving $500 for the motor so I have a lot of room to rebuild it. To many options I guess,

The crankshaft is different, on the 1992 "3ZJ"  (310 HP) engine = better = it will have the "wider" rod journals.(thus connecting rods are different, also; and probably piston spray tubes, too

Note: The rod and main bearings "should be" good for 500,000 miles of regular "over-the-road" driving. (this is for the wider rod journal crankshafts, only)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)