AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

855 cummins oil pressure problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jodan
Posted 1/4/2016 14:45 (#5010394)
Subject: 855 cummins oil pressure problems

Bardstown, Ky
I have an 855 cummins engine. Manufactured in 1989. I believe it is a big cam IV. It suddenly lost part of its oil pressure. One day it is normal and the next day, once it warmed up it runs at about half the pressure it should. At idle the pressure is low enough to cause the warning light to come on and the engine to shut down. We suspected a broken piston cooling nozzle. It wasn't that. However by the time I got all the nozzles out I ended up with the oil pan off. Now I'm not sure how to proceed. I was thinking I would replace the seals on the oil pump suction line while I have oil pan off. Could the pump suck air enough to cause this? When I was at cummins picking up parts I asked about a port to check the pressure of the pump. All the techs were younger than this engine, haha, and they weren't certain but thought the port where the pressure gauge comes out of the block was the closest I could get to connecting directly to the pump. Is this correct? How would I check to see if the bearings in this engine are the culprit? Doesn't seem likely as this happened so quickly. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)