AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has contracted directly with a rail buyer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 1/3/2016 12:39 (#5007540 - in reply to #5007497)
Subject: RE: Has contracted directly with a rail buyer?

W Texas
I realize the circumstances at your location may be totally different. But telling the guy it can't be done just because it isn't possible with your local railroad is not reasonable.

To prove my point, I just got on Google earth and measured a few side rails that I am certain are still in operation, or were until earlier this year in two cases.

Guymon, OK has a siderail that is less than 1900 ft. So it can hold approximately 14 cars. The elevator was actually condemned this spring, but it was operational until then. Used often until then.

Lugart, OK side rail is 1900 ft. Bin blown away last year by wind or tornado. So technically not currently in operation, either. Lol.

Lone Wolf, OK side rail only 800 ft. Used all the time.

Hooker, OK side rail less than 2000 ft, so perhaps 15 car max.

My point is, everyone has unique circumstances and some of the railroads will definitely work with you. Some are required to work with you by legacy Federal Law! Some old/closed down rail lines are owned by local coops, etc., in order to keep available strictly for grain. So the only way he can know for sure is to do the legwork with the local rail line.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)