AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Depreciation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

99MAX
Posted 12/29/2015 10:41 (#4995024 - in reply to #4994937)
Subject: RE: Depreciation

Stearns County, Minnesota

piratepride2 - 12/29/2015 09:07 Anyone willing to explain the implications of carrying too much depreciation? I know several on the boards think my questions are stupid and not worth the time to answer, but I really am reaching out for guidance to try and fix some issues going on. If we have too much depreciation on the books, what are the negatives to this? We have to show enough profit to offset the depreciation obviously, but what else is there to think about with depreciation. Thanks guys!

First of all, I don't think this is a stupid question.  It was a depreciation trap,that farmers fell into in the 80's.  If the depreciated item is never sold or traded, and the life of the item is over, and "parked in the grove" so to speak, you should not have any problems.  If the item is sold, that money is considered income, and must be reported with your other income.   Here is an example from the 80's: a farmer was going to sell out his machinery to his son for $200,000 and rent the land to him.  He was going to take the $200,000 and build a new house.  He checked with his tax accountant, and he was warned that he had better not do that.  He would lose half of the money to taxes and would not have enough to build his house.  Also, in the 80's, farmers that were forced to sell out, found out that the money they got from the depreciated items had to go to the bank to pay off debt, and the same amount of money was added to their income and they had to pay Federal and State income tax on it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)