AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agriculture's image problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 11/20/2015 20:00 (#4909532 - in reply to #4908461)
Subject: RE: Agriculture's image problem

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
I've been around a lot of different people from all walks of life in our travels in the past 30 years. The general outside impression of farmers is we do a lot of manual work and live a poor life. Many still think we live in the 50's and 60's when maybe their grandparents were on a farm but haven't had any farm experience in 50+ years.
Once I explain to them what agriculture is like today most are very interested and surprised by what we do and the technology involved. I explain the risks involved both with weather and the finical end of things and they gain a lot of respect for farmers very quickly. Most tell me that we don't earn near enough for what we do once they learn the farmers side of things.
It's really quite interesting. I have been around people that I know or worth millions and some who think they have a lot but then when I tell them what land and equipment costs they realize they really are not worth near as much as they thought but they don't mind that I have more. They have learned I have a lot of risk involved and are glad to not trade places with me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)