AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Local land sale today- results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 11/20/2015 18:06 (#4909238 - in reply to #4909160)
Subject: RE: Local land sale today- results

Ben Riensche - 11/20/2015 17:33

240 acres less roads and building site today between Jesup and Dunkerton. $2.18 million or approx $9500/tillable. The farm will be a trophy when all fixed up, but is a real mess now. Crazy guy didn't farm it for a dozen years or so. Estate lawyers rented it out for 2015. So it got mowed, worked and planted the best the renter could.

Mid 80's CSR. $1000/acre of clean up and tile to do. Line fences are grown out 40'. Still has interior fences for rotating crops/pasture, but grown up with 50' tall trees. Two junk building sites. But once it's all cleared will be one big flat field and a good spot for hog buildings on the old acreage. Buyer is a 55 year old local farmer with a farming son. This farm is probably 3-4 miles from his home farm. He hasn't been wildly aggressive in the past, but excellent operator that finishes hogs and has bought other land with good equity I'm sure.

It was a top 5 bidders go to round two event. And I get the impression the four bridesmaids were not far behind. I was not one. Very competitive neighborhood with lots of good farmers.

This does not make sense with $3.45 corn. But if your grandfather bought and paid for a farm like this and you farm it now, you would be glad he did whatever to get it.
The new owner sounds like a good guy. Glad it didn't go to the local BTO. That being said, I'm very glad it's him and not me. I'm 55 too, and not willing to risk that much at my age. A deal like that could hurt me a whole lot more than it could help me, which is the question I always ask myself when faced with a decision like that. Hope it works out for him and his son.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)