AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agriculture's image problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 11/20/2015 13:41 (#4908767 - in reply to #4908743)
Subject: RE: Agriculture's image problem

There are few areas that are more dependant on subsidized crop insurance than the area I live in. I know all about how it works. I have had insurance checks that tripped automatic audits they were so large.

I believe if the net gain to farmers is not negative, it is at least no more than zero.

Crop insurance is risk reduction. I would be insane not to take advantage of it while it's available (just like CSP, CRP, the farm program and many other government interventions) but don't think for a minute that I am any more or less successful than other farmers in my area because of it. We play with the cards we are dealt and regardless of the cards that are dealt there will be winners and losers.

All I care about in farming is that I am on a level playing field with everyone else. Since that is my primary motivator, why would I want the government to constantly come out with new programs that cause me to spend more time sitting in the office scheming on how I can best take advantage of it instead of working and doing something productive like focusing my energies on decreasing costs and increasing yields.

EVERY government program that I'm aware of is an attempt at making life easier for those who fail to adapt to reality. I just do not get how any such program makes me as a farmer better, or how it makes us as a country better. It promotes weakness, and irresponsibility and that's the truth.

Edited by dpilot83 11/20/2015 13:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)