AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JonSCKs, El Nino
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Don Smith
Posted 11/15/2015 22:29 (#4898735 - in reply to #4898510)
Subject: RE: JonSCKs, El Nino

Centre county Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks much for the link. It provided some very interesting concepts. My interest is developing yield models that can be used in any geographical area, we don't all farm the entire corn belt. I was totally amazed at how well a very simple, June and July climate temperature anomaly yield model performs for US corn belt area. I may have posted that performance chart before, but I've attached it again. Recent findings that climate temperature and precipitation anomalies are not correlated in some growing areas, is a complication that may not lead to simple solutions for some geographical areas. Your (interesting) spaghetti chart shows that cumulative degree days action is in the June and July time period, so tracking climate temperature anomaly for that time period may be equivalent to tracking growing degree days?

Your paper provides food for thought and techniques that I will be trying in an attempt to improve that very simple climate temperature yield model Rsquared from it's current 0.794 (79.4 % of national corn yield is explained by June and July climate temperature anomaly in the corn belt). The concept of high temperature and excessive temperature in your linked paper suggests that perhaps climate temperature anomaly should be split into multiple categories and weighted by category?

(KCYM_Cornbelt_back-test_performance.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments KCYM_Cornbelt_back-test_performance.png (91KB - 40 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)