AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Early interseeded cover crops?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bbeck
Posted 11/15/2015 00:30 (#4896999 - in reply to #4896405)
Subject: RE: Early interseeded cover crops?

I built a machine that we planted three rows of cover crops between each row of corn. I used double disk openers so the seed was placed in the ground. I used 21 different seeds in 14 different 5 acres plots. I can get you the list of seed if you would like. I planted when the corn was at the V2 stage so much earlier than most others. Everything grew and got up around a foot tall ( radish, rape, cereal rye, annual rye, African cabbage, alfalfa, soybeans and much more... ) at the end of the season there were only three different species that made it the entire season annual rye, African cabbage, and clover. Next year we will do the same trial playing around with different seeding rates with these three seeds.

I left check strips and there was no yield difference between the plots with interseeding and the 5 plots that had nothing interseeded into them. This was a whole field trial with different plots within the field and of the acres of corn we had this year that field out yield every other field. Just something interesting no real data that interseeding helped increase yield ( different hybrids, planting date, soil than the other farms) it was nice to see we could achieve the yields we want with an interseeding.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)