AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are the legalities of slow equipment signage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

emtbd1979
Posted 11/7/2015 23:08 (#4883659 - in reply to #4883173)
Subject: RE: What are the legalities of slow equipment signage?

west central illinois
Old Pokey - 11/7/2015 17:47

I just have to move my steiger and air seeder a short distance, but it has to go very slow, like 10-12mph. I know your area has had several auto vs. car accidents too, but I want to avoid defending myself in court if I can get the attention of even the best texting driver. Seems like when there is an over whelming amount of flashing lights, people think there is an accident coming up or a construction zone. But I knew about the smv. I have fresh ones on most everything. But they sure fade fast when the barn is open to the south.

there is just so much dumb on the roads that I'd be worried about making my own illuminating signs or such.

When I drive a truck for the big construction company here for 6 years, after every Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day ( with some in between) we would spend the Monday after or day after going to at least 1 job on an interstate and load a message board or arrow board that had been hit by a car or truck and totaled out.
Kinda a funny story but they sent me to Bloomington on I 74 to get a message board. I had a flat trailer on my semi, dispatcher told me get the message board at the yard that had been totaled and bring it in. They wanted to salvage what they could from it.
I loaded it with a loader but couldn't get it to lower all the way down into its cradle because the mast was bent and the electric motor was trashed. So I thought I'll be ok. I came to a lower than I thought over pass and the solar panel on top Barely tapped the bridge and shattered into a billion pieces. I thought " oh geez"! Got back to the yard and foreman come out and said " hell Rob the car even shattered the solar panel"!! I said yep it's pretty well toast! Lol. I felt an 1" tall but I wasn't about to tell them I had broke it because the paper work and safety meetings weren't worth it. Just glad I was on a 2 lane highway and nobody was behind me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)