AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/pellet stove
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jtpfarm
Posted 11/2/2015 12:56 (#4872844 - in reply to #4872778)
Subject: RE: Corn/pellet stove

mn
GREEN FARMER - 11/2/2015 12:14

jtp what brand stove is the outdoor one?

Its a Central Boiler brand. Apparently the old ones were set up to burn corn or pellets on the same settings with a low mode to keep it burning on idle. The one I got is one of the EPA approved ones. It has a pellet mode and a corn mode. The low mode on both corn and pellets is disabled. They now have an electric igniter so instead of going into low mode, it just stops completely and reignites when there is a call for heat.

It is replacing my indoor corn boiler in the shop (which is now for sale) and will heat the shop and new house. In both the old house and in the shop I fed the corn with a feed line flex auger directly into the hopper to eliminate dust when filling. (and a lot of work) I did the same with the outdoor one as I set it in the old silo room on the barn (shop).

I will add some pictures later.

The way I figure it is it takes $91 worth of corn @ $3.50 to make 10 million BTU. Corn having 381,000 BTU per bushel.

It takes $129 to make 10 million BTU with LP at $1.20 per gallon. LP having 91,000 BTU per gallon.

Obviously furnace efficiency is going to change the numbers but the Central corn burner is rated 92% efficient by the EPA.

Edited by jtpfarm 11/2/2015 13:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)