AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn/pellet stove
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 11/2/2015 11:27 (#4872726 - in reply to #4872626)
Subject: RE: Corn/pellet stove

Bourbon,Indiana

dslman - 11/2/2015 10:04 I have had a corn stove for 13 years and love it. Works great on the chilly days and nights. 2 years ago I replaced my 75 year old fuel oil furnace with a corn furnace. That's works great on the very cold winter days. I try not to burn the stove and furnace at the same time but when the wind is blowing strong and temps are close to zero I have at times.

Pretty much the same experience "here". First purchased one in early 2000's when LP first started going up. I have a large and drafty farm house, and the LP furnace heat is not quite like the heat from the corn stove.

I am on my second stove...a Harmon PC-43 which I purchased about 9 years ago. I burn about 200 bushels of corn a year. We tried pellets, and  it was nice not having to clean out the stove as often, but it just did not put out heat like corn does. The corn stove I have to shut down about once/ week to clean off the walls etc from fly ash. The ash will cover the walls inside and the heat output will go down noticeably. Ashes are dumped once every 24 hours.

It works best on those transition days when the temps are in the upper 30's-to low 40's. Furnace does not even run then, just the stove.

I use my stove as a primary heat source, and the furnace will start kicking on every so often when the temps get to the low 30's and below.

I have my stove in a mudroom and use a 20" fan in the doorway to blow cold air into the mudroom, and the heated air naturally goes into the kitchen then up the stairs to the bedrooms. The corn keeps about 75% of my house warm in the cold weather. The west rooms downstairs do get chilly. But we just cover up with blankets .

There will be ashes and fly ash to deal with, as well as dust from the corn. So it is nice having it in my mudroom vs a nicer room in the house.

To give you a better idea of how nice it is......it is normal to find a bunch of naked kids....and sometimes a naked wife in front of that stove warming up after being outside, taking a shower, etc.

If / when I do things over I will likely follow dslman and upgrade to a corn furnace. Something which does not need as much cleaning.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)