AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shortage of farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Ben Riensche
Posted 11/1/2015 14:42 (#4870745 - in reply to #4870726)
Subject: RE: Ben Riensche???

Jesup, IA
I think five years would be a good target. Some kids develop and learn at different paces. It's all about what they need to be successful. Some kids need to get experience, others need to mature, others need to see the world a bit before they grow roots. It's a big step to strike out and make yourself successful, earn a promotion or two, and figure out what the job place will really pay you for your skill set.

My wife and I are blessed to have kids that are good students, and some jobs I have to them mentioned are:

Banker (I went this route), Grain Merchandiser, & Ag Product Rep. I can see a direct fit for these skills. But you sure wouldn't tell them not to be an Accountant, IT or Computer type, Production Manager or Business Analyst if they could land the job. I'm sure there are more.

If the kids are more "hands on," why not encourage them to be an Agronomist, Tech Rep, Ag or Diesel Tech, Custom Applicator or simply send them to work a few years at another well managed farm outside of your home area? In the near future, I expect to take on a young apprentice from an out-of-state farming friend for a couple years right after their stint at Community College is done.

I know I certainly don't have it all figured out, and would welcome the kids to go learn new things they are not going to get at home, and bring those skills back to our farm.

And on another point, I have 3 girls and a son. And I know I will have daughters who want a place in the family business.

Edited by Ben Riensche 11/1/2015 14:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)