AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shortage of farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 10/31/2015 20:50 (#4869469 - in reply to #4868610)
Subject: Ben Riensche???

EC Nebraska
Ben Riensche - 10/31/2015 12:18
[..] I have said it many times on this site, so at risk of repetition:

- Crop share makes farmers compete on the basis of performance, stewardship & skill, vs. who will write the biggest (and riskiest) cash rent check.
- A young farmer who will bend over backwards to grow the best crop looks like a good "hire", vs. renting to an old guy like me!
- Crop share takes some landlord education. But that's a good thing for them to participate in the investment and risk.
- Farm improvements, like conservation work, drainage and irragation, become investments, not expenses!

I used to snicker about Michelle Obama gardens and Urban Chickens. However, in reality it's good thing for more people to understand a crop failure first hand, as well as why livestock needs responsibly administered antibiotics from time to time. Subway's ad agency didn't think their recent announcement that their sandwich meat will go "antibiotic free" soon. Whereas, if you ever raised a critter, you a shot of "somethingmyacin" can mean the difference between a rapid recovery and a slow and painful death.

You keep saying things like this as if you want more young people in farming. And yet, if farm magazines are to be believed, you've "been steadily jogging in a farm-expansion marathon" for the past two decades. On average, you add about 450 acres per year to your operation. Exactly how do you think any young guys are going to get started in farming when "old guys" like you keep gobbling up the land?

It seems to me the only way young guys are going to be involved in farming is by trying to get someone like you to hire them. They sure aren't going to be able to rent ground on shares when guys like you keep writing the big cash rents.

And then you have the nerve to suggest that the government should step in and help out the poor young farmers that you've been steamrolling over for the last 21 years. I don't think your words and your actions match very well.

Sure, you want young farmers farming. Just not on any ground you might want.

Edited by NE Ridger 11/1/2015 08:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)