AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Insurance Cuts Restored.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 10/30/2015 11:33 (#4866764 - in reply to #4864778)
Subject: talk talk talk..

You guys act like we abuse the system out here.. I can not guarantee that no abuses are occuring.. and I fully support anyone breaking the rules being punished.. or corrected.

In my view it's a fair system.. could it be improved?  Maybe.. but.. vs the OLD way.. where Congress hustled Disaster payments through.. then you had to jump through hoops.. and the administration etc of those would be..??  Challenging in my view.

This way a SYSTEM is IN PLACE.. IF YOU CHOOSE to participate.. then pony up and buy insurance.. if there is a claim.. then you are entitled.. IF you CHOOSE NOT to participate.. that was YOUR CHOICE..

Some of the biggest payouts occured in Illinois during 2012.. and deservedly so... that's where the losses were..

I have had claims.. most year's.. but in most cases I'm getting back a portion of my premium.. ALL TOLD the PREMIUMS have exceeded my claims.. EVEN THOUGH.. I have had 85% Revenue Coverage.. coming down from what some have called a Commodity Super Cycle... so what do you expect?

As prices fall.. I am starting to lower my coverage level.. this year (unfortuantely for me..) I believe I lowered my wheat coverage to 80%.. back this summer.. golly surely it will rain.. and here I sit.. with about a third with a 67% stand.. a third of about 33% and a third at "EL Zippo."  We got a long ways to go.. maybe it rains.. maybe the markets rally.. etc.. 

Anyway I can do business as normal.. provide projections to my banker.. this is ROCK BOTTOM what I'm gonna have.. 80% of APH x price x acres.. so it seems SENSELESS to me to ADD un needed uncertainty to the system.. especially now..

Understand that we hear "Crop insurance rip offs in the plains.."  Like ya'll hear Illinois is the land of 400 bu corn.. $500 cash leases.. and once it's planted.. everyone goes to the Bahama's until Harvest in the fall... yada yada yada..

IF you always have a claim.. your APH's will be affected.. yes they adjusted that AND THANK YOU.. but it's only about 2 or 3 years out of 10 qualify "here" and basically restores it to what it was.. or thereabouts..

In my opinion it's a very FAIR system for everyone...  participants PAY to PLAY.. and it's not CHEAP.. My Premiums have run.. hmmm.. about what my fuel expenses are.. something that WE LOOK AT EVERY YEAR!!

.. bummer should have stuck with the 85%.. "oh well."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)