AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what the crop insurance vote really tells agriculture.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rustndust
Posted 10/29/2015 11:55 (#4864834 - in reply to #4864722)
Subject: RE: Best post I have ever seen (but forgetting one thing)

NDCommodities - 10/29/2015 10:40 I have to say Vail and White's exchange here is pretty spot on. I don't want to start a big argument below but there is many things people still aren't considering. Farmers are notorious for complaining about welfare; lets look in essence what we have.... Government subsidized REVENUE insurance... - What would the average owner of a gas station/restaurant/manufacturing plant/etc... say if they truly understood what we had? - We have clients in Europe, South America and Australia that truly can't fathom our insurance. they think it is the greatest rip off ever. (and i don't argue) We are angry with many posts up top of 'you can't farm in the dakota's without crop insurance'... That's a lie, they had done it for decades before it became the huge safety net it is now. We aren't allowed to complain about inflating rents/land prices/machinery costs... and then subsequently defend crop insurance at these lofty levels! We have farmed forever up here, but it isn't 200 bushel corn ground year in/year out. 2009 and other issues prove that. PP just insures people to take undo risks with government backed insurance. Like they said, with revenue protection it creates a market that pushes production costs right to those margins. Our profitability is really small in the big scheme because we created that environment. Sorry, just angry at the 'woe is me posts' when people are acting like entitled children... This problem is self created due to crop insurance!

I agree with about 99% of the "get the government out of crop insurance" philosophy...but will give up the other 1% when the government gets out of manipulating trade agreements, farm policy, embargos like carter did in the 80's, manipulating the farmers via the farm program and linking crop insurance to conservation compliance.

The government has got a lot of leverage on the farmers for the outlay of crop insurance dollars, and they like it that way.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)