AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crop Insurance Cuts Restored.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rustndust
Posted 10/29/2015 07:13 (#4864287 - in reply to #4864255)
Subject: RE: Wasn't the long term goal to stop big unbudgeted disaster payments?

Pat H - 10/29/2015 06:57 The idea of going to a subsidized insurance model appeared to smooth out the spending spikes that disaster payments represented. Going to a countercyclical support program seemed to make sense in conversation, but the question is whether not government wants or should be involved in manipulating production and markets. I do wonder about farms that use PP all the time (8 out of 10 years). Seems less than practical and I would hope insurance premiums reflect that level of risk. If the subsidy went away would premiums reflect risk levels more (like having a house full of teenage drivers)? Political tin foil hat (or seed hat): Typical of liberal administrations, they feel they should be running everything because they are smarter and listen to npr more than most folks. So, consolidation fits perfectly with their goals even if it's seems contrary to the anti-big business rhetoric. The idea that it saves the "family farm" doesn't fit so well and it would seem that it's more aimed at consolidation of farms (though it didn't save ILFF, but might some day). I have an opinion that government types don't like the diversity in farming and would much rather have just a few folks to deal with. Even in hog production the continous flow of epa regulations tend to make it more difficult every year for anyone not large enough to have a regulations department staffed with 13 folks. I really hope the epa gets reigned in. Billy Clinton would have done it to stay popular, not sure Hillary would though (I'm pretty sure elections will be cancelled and Teri Gross will crown Hillary president). I hope I'm joking.

"I do wonder about farms that use PP all the time (8 out of 10 years). Seems less than practical and I would hope insurance premiums reflect that level of risk."

The rules about PP must be different here.....after 4 years of being PP, even land that carries a regular cropland designation are uninsurable.

To again become insurable, you must plant and HARVEST a crop for 2 consecutive years ( I think the rules for our neck of the wood (prairie pothole region)... that 2 year rule might even be 3 consecutive years.

I have several hundreds of acres that have been uninsurable for many years....almost get them back in compliance,and a weather event renders them unplantable but they dry out by fall...but the "clock" has to start anew.

Yet these same acres still are rented as cropland, and continue to be eligible for entry into CRP. ( no incentive for the landowner to lower the rental price)

I suspect some of the crop insurance subsidy cuts are lobbied by the same fine folks that publish the Environmental Working Group  (EWG.org ) website/database that keeps compiling the farm payments that are disbursed.

Ever notice that particular database just keeps a running total? where is it at now...20 years? of disburements....even a small time farmer's record looks huge to a landowner or some other critic.

If the EWG.org folks are interested in shaming the government and producers in the name of "fiscal responsibility"...maybe they should publish some other 20 year running databases, like social programs and direct welfare disbursments that list individuals names and addresses.

Edited by rustndust 10/29/2015 07:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)