AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Market Hedging, futures, options, oh my
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

cessnapilot3
Posted 10/27/2015 21:37 (#4861532)
Subject: Market Hedging, futures, options, oh my

Ok, for those of you whom are much much more familiar with trading than I, I have a couple of questions. I am a small grain farmer. I know virtually nothing about hedging, options, futures etc etc. Essentially, I grow a crop and sell it when I need money, after its in the bin. The money I make is whatever the local elevator pays per bushel. I feel like there is a lot of money being left on the table from the marketing side. So, that being said I set up a self directed account at an internet based company. They have a ton of educational materials, webinars, seminars etc, on everything from stocks to whatever else you want to trade. I can see there is going to be a substantial amount of effort involved here to self educate. So... My question is, for those of you that do "Play the markets", "Day trade" or "Hedge" can you tell me, is this a "Big" part of your overall grain marketing strategy? Or is it more of a "Hobby" with extra money that you don't mind losing? Essentially the real question is, if I put in the effort to make my self educated in this realm, do you think its worth the effort in the long run? As a side note, I've always been interested, just very leary. Have heard many a horror story about lost farms due to mismanaged market gambles. I'm certainly not interested in joining those ranks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)