AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kansas Guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 10/22/2015 07:24 (#4852052 - in reply to #4852038)
Subject: not enough.. yet.

I finished sowing on the first pass of the 2016 HRW Wht on our farm last night..  We are 4" behind normal on precip since the faucet shut off about mid summer.. Most guys waited for moisture before starting.. (some still are..)  We started on our sand after a light shower about 10 days ago.. some of it is up..

The rest will not emerge without moisture so we pulled the depth up.. I NEED this rain to finish emergence... with a 4" deficit even a 2" soaker would only bring us to 50% of normal.. which frankly.. I'm not sure if that would be enough to establish the crop before winter or not...???

There is no subsoil.. growers are also concerned that if the crop sprouts there may not be enough moisture to sustain it and hence lead to the winterkill that we saw last fall..???

So the radar looks good.. and the boys out west are getting rain..(again.. lucky dogs..) but we really need it here in the Central part of the state..

It looks like on the forecast maps that it's gonna peter out as it moves east..??

So it's really gonna be a close call..  Gonna be a dirty winter if we can not get this crop established..

fingers crossed.. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)