AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iconic machines in Ag
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/21/2015 06:26 (#4850195 - in reply to #4850042)
Subject: RE: Iconic machines in Ag

southern MN
Ben D, N CA - 10/20/2015 23:14

I can't believe the International 66 series has not been mentioned. IH was way ahead of its time with the features they provided.

The acoustical engineering that went into the cab is nothing short of amazing. How the engineers could devise a cab that would perfectly channel all of the engine noise, transmission noise and the sound of the rearends going out, right into the upper middle of the cab where the operator's ears are is a modern marvel.

The automatic climate control is another feat. Blows hot air right from the engine in hot weather, and the porous cab keeps the cab nice and cool when it is freezing outside.

The ergonomics are also great. The operator merely climbs up a slippery ladder, and is welcomed into the cab with the steering console right in your face to block your access to the seat.

The TA's... well, I don't really need to go there. Who would want a powershift when you can have a TA for several hours after the last tractor split.

And my favorite of all is the incredibly easy access to the hydraulic fill. There is almost enough room for a funnel and the bucket of HyTran. At least you won't get any oil on your shoes. See ergonomics above.

There are others, and anyone of those could make a machine a known icon, but for them to all be on the same machine shows you why they were the step into modern equipment.

The 86's had some good points as well, particularly the ease of shifting and the backwards doors, but most of those were merely retrogressions of the first, and best tractor with all of the above.

See, now this is an iconic post. :)

I was just trying to add engine oil to my TW20 yesterday, and because the alternator is right above the small oil fill hole, couldn't get the funnel I had to work, everything gets bumped outward and funnels lean too much because some engineer put that alternator right in the exact spot....

Then saw the hydralic oil was a little low, and - well, a nice vertical fill hole there in back. Directly, I mean right below, the cab.... You need a long stem, flexy funnel which means a narrow neck which means you are holding your oil jug for eons until the oil can dribble into the tranny...... Ph and nothing holds the funnel at the right angle, you need one hand on the funnel, and only one holding the jug up high.....

Yup, such access is just classic. Who says engineers don't have a sense of humor?

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)