AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For those who survived the 80's?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Whatadeal
Posted 10/20/2015 20:28 (#4849563 - in reply to #4848204)
Subject: RE: For those who survived the 80's?

central Iowa
zmracing - 10/19/2015 21:48

I don't really remember the seed, chemicals, and fertilizer dealers struggling very much. I just started farming in 1982 but I don't think seed and fertilizer went up in price a lot in the 70's like it did in 2008. I think most of the seed came from farmer dealers so they were struggling on the farm but I don't think their seed sales hurt them at all. The equipment dealers were the first and hardest hit of anyone. My family was involved in an implement dealership and if I remember right they sold around 17 or 19 new combines in 1979 so they ordered 20 new combines for 1980 and only sold 2 of them. It seemed like every small town had 3 or 4 implement dealerships in the 70's.

And a lot of that inventory was injected into the dealers by manufacturers! I remember being at our local Deere dealer back then and a new four wheel drive tractor showed up unordered and floor planned at a very high rate!. I could write a book about 1985.....bank closure, dealers going broke, federal land bank, your name it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)