AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginng Farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Stormwatcher
Posted 10/7/2015 13:32 (#4827967 - in reply to #4825982)
Subject: RE: Beginng Farmer

WCMO-SWMO Area
Big machinery,chemicals,and no-till have eliminated the need for having very many new farmers...Lots of people that want to farm full time will never get the chance...Its that way everywhere.....When I was a kid the average size farm around me was 160-320 acres....Now its 2000-3,000 acres with some up to 5000- 10,000 acres...

This year some found out that they had too much land and couldn't get it all planted because of wet weather..That won't stop some of them for renting more land for next year..When it comes to renting or buying ground its dog eat dog out there....Sadly the farming community isn't a friendly place like it once was 30-40 years ago....Neighbors don't neighbor much with each other anymore..Thats just the way it is..

Over 30 years ago I worked lots for a neighbor that was close to retirement and farmed 1200 acres....I figured that when he retired I would get a chance at some of his owned ground or rented ground....Boy,was I ever wrong...He was mad because my crops were better than his a couple of times and he made sure that I got nothing..So even back then it was tough to get ground..

If you can't rent or buy more ground soon, it may be time just to be content with being a part time farmer working a town job....Not everyone can be a full time farmer...If I was currently a young farmer in my neighborhood it would be nearly impossible to rent or buy any ground..

Edited by Stormwatcher 10/7/2015 16:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)