AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorry Coolhand and Young Gun
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jpartner
Posted 10/2/2015 15:24 (#4819866 - in reply to #4819848)
Subject: RE: Sorry Coolhand and Young Gun

Norstman - 10/2/2015 14:08

jpartner - 10/2/2015 14:40

LongKC - 10/2/2015 11:30...Guys with a longer view and slightly deeper pockets, sure, stay long.

With all due respect long, it has nothing to do with deeper pockets. This is a farmer forum for the most part, and farmers are relentlessly kicked around by the markets so we are desensitized to risk. We have this belief that is will always come back and if I use no stop, all I gotta do is ride it long enough, meet the margin calls and I am golden. IMHO, outside of a few here, most here have no trade frame. We think its going up or down and we take action. We have no idea what our risk is, let alone what a realistic reward is for the frame. We never want to be wrong so we don't use a stop. Then we add to our losing postition at lower prices because it's going higher. How many lives were destroyed by that mentality, in crude, corn, or even cattle? Countless. Deep pockets may give you staying power but likely a lack of discipline too. IMHO, the worse thing that can happen is be deep in the red and have it comeback a winner. It reinforces bad habits and someday...crude happens.
There are some incredibly wealthy people that trade NG with a 1.5 cent stop. And they have won't even think about the trade without at least a 6or 7 to 1 reward to risk ratio. They have unimaginable wealth. It has nothing to do with deep pockets...
Take Care

Boy aren't we a bunch of idiots.....

Hi Norstman,
I figured somebody would take it wrong. I meant nothing bad, just stating the obvious. We are human no? Don't ever want to admit we are wrong? I don't but a stop is pretty black and white. Maybe you are different.

I traded NG in the last few weeks. I did get run over. My stop was 1.5 cents. The trade happened in the upper 2.60's. I didn't like the stop at the time, but I am sure glad it happened now.

My point is, a trade starts with money management, and ends with the entry. Most people get that mixed up...
Take care Norstman.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)