AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forecasting national corn production
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 10/1/2015 07:28 (#4817624 - in reply to #4817580)
Subject: Fringe acres..

I don't have time this morning to go over this data.. very good work btw Don.  However dryland corn acres in Kansas (and the rest of the fringe..) are HIGHLY variable..  The irrigated is somewhat stable.. (although with the drought from 2011 and Multi Year Flex Accounts..) some irrigated corn acreage flexed to sorghum.. but the DRYLAND.. even as a seed provider it's VERY HARD TO KNOW what is going to be planted.

True Story.. older gentleman watched the neighbors plant dryland corn.. Zero acres.. next year.. 50 acres... next year 1200 acres.. etc  Most have now dabbled in it.. keep in mind for a Kansas Wheat farmer who has a drill.. and a combine.. he also needs a PLANTER.. or a neighbor who has one with sufficient size to finish HIS acres as well as NEW acres.. and a CORN HEAD.. or Custom work.

There are still guys today.. "Golly I'd try corn but I do not have the equipment... " so they stick with Sorghum etc..

In Kansas.. we have about..?? like 1.8? myn irrigated corn acres.. we've gone from 3.1 myn total corn acres in 2004 to 5.1 myn acres in 2011

( http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=517428&pos... )

Specifically.. again from earlier in the year.. May 2014..

Notice above how we robbed from the bean crop to plant corn.. especially in the I states.. 2007 STILL stands as the record corn acreage for.. Ill, In, Ia and Ohio.  Last year the growth came from Cotton acreage in the South.. Ar, La, Ms, Tx as well as continued expansion in the Plains.. Dakota's, Nebraska.. etc.

take aways from the work done earlier this winter..

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=455279&posts=22#M3701118

There are four states that have added 2 million plus acres to both Corn and Soybeans since 2006.. They are..

North Dakota + 2,210 Corn acres + 660 Soybeans = 2,870
South Dakota + 1,400 Corn + 1,000 Soybeans = 2,400
Nebraska +2,100 Corn - 50 Soybeans = 2,050
Kansas 1,150 Corn + 890 Soybeans = 2,040

This 9.370 Million acres expansion in the Corn and Soybean Acreage is significant especially when you consider that the average corn yield in ND is 110 bushels, 127 in Kansas and 138 in South Dakota vs the National average of 158.8.

On the Soybeans the state averages are 40 for South Dakota, 36.0 for Kansas and 30.0 for North Dakota.

Irrigated Nebraska production is pretty decent in both crops.

Take away:  We've added a lot of acreage since 2006.. over 9 myn acres in the Plains states.. (other than Ne) this is NOT very high yielding ground.

which I stand by.. 4.5 myn corn acres planted here this year.. or 4.7 or ??? 4.6- 1.8 = 2.8'ish of dryland.. and YES some of that is Highly productive 185+ aph ground in NE Ks.. and somewhat also in SE Ks.. but a decent chunk is a TOTAL Crapshot..

Our DRYLAND last year made 135'ish.. this year.. 50.1'ish.. those kinds of swings on almost 2 myn acres of production..  multiplied by the rest of the fringe.. is "alot."

fwiw.. (in a hurry bye.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)