AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Elder abuse---financial exploitation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

a4t-1600
Posted 9/28/2015 09:08 (#4812753 - in reply to #4812695)
Subject: RE: Elder abuse---financial exploitation

Dearfield Co.
This is a slippery slope-------I was on the other end and was reported . The authorities came at my family with a vengeance with a whole list of allegations that started when a niece called my mom wanting to borrow $35000 for a downpayment on a house. Mom explained how down payment loans would not be accepted by the finance company and then made the statement she was struggling to buy groceries . I was turned in with the claim my mom had nothing to eat or drink and I had blown all of her money. I made one call to the trusts attorney and went with the sheriff for interrogation while mom went with some lady from a council on aging after that she was interrogated . When it was all done we went home and my sister was charged with making a false statement to the police. The trust attorney was 80 miles away and was there in less than a hour the part that stunk the worst was having to pay the $1100 bill from him for the day. But he also was instrumental in getting that sister charged. In the 10 years we cared for my parents I was turned in a total of 4 times by relatives that hadn't talked or seen my parents in years. They just couldn't understand how we could do the job properly of caring for them without a nursing home

Its like I tell everyone--------------If you dont know what legal documents are in place even if you are family you need to proceed with caution since you dont know if this isn't the elders decision or that things might be different than it appears. If the senior isn't being cared for and is eating cat food etc then by all means contact someone but if it just appears another family member is having fun at their expense it might be wrote that way for spend down for nursing care. Even though that isn't right it still happens and with the blessing of attorneys to a extent as long as gift tax rules are covered
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)