AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CRP rental rates.........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

white shadow
Posted 9/9/2015 22:52 (#4780700 - in reply to #4780604)
Subject: RE: CRP rental rates.........

East Central South Dakota
The CRP practice I re-enrolled was a tree planting. I am getting $123/acre to watch my trees grow. It is available and makes 100 percent economic sense. We can't drain wetlands and these saline spots can qualify for practices that will pay $150 - $170/acre------these are spots in a field that will never raise a bushel every year, yet they are planted and fertilized every year and they raise nothing. I think it is good business to look at alternatives for these areas. I keep emotions out of business and like it or not Continuous CRP signups are very viable solutions to areas that will never raise a bushel and can never be tiled to correct the problem. CRP general signups are a totally different monster than Continuous Signups that target specific environmental problems. CRP general signups used to take huge blocks of lands out of production and were used as retirement programs which should have never been allowed and shouldn't be allowed in the future. The future of CRP is in the Continuous Signups not the old general signups and it is the old general signups that took huge chunks of ground away.that took production opportunities away. CRP can be a tool to increase profitability and your APH and if your in business to make money you better use every tool available,----I guess I can see the AgriVision in maintaining profitability.

As for the morals of taking CRP payments, that discussion is just plain silly and has no merits from an industry that has numerous lines to get into to get a check. Crop insurance has put its foot on the neck of more young farmers than CRP ever has. So if you think taking a check for squaring off a burdensome wetland area is immoral I am sure you are paying your tax payer subsidy on your crop insurance yourself so you sleep at night and you didn't enroll in the farm bill and you have never taken a FSA grain storage loan or you have never taken a FSA operating or land loan out and you have never LDP'd a bushel of grain and you have never received a livestock feed assistance check in a declared disaster and you have never gotten a disaster payment on a drought disaster---------------we are in this to deep to cast stones at one particular sector of Agriculture subsidies. Close the whole office and all programs or live with the subsidy black eye.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)