AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dave Ramsey coarse
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

DeereMan85
Posted 9/9/2015 08:39 (#4779323 - in reply to #4779014)
Subject: RE: Dave Ramsey coarse

Iowa
You're making a lot of assumptions there about someone you don't know. I also question if you even know what a mutual fund is, since you seem to think it is something flashy to show off to the neighbors. The only people who know how much my investments are worth are my wife, my broker, and I. Furthermore, if I am investing after tax dollars into said mutual fund I can liquidate it at any time without penalty if I need to. If you think your money is better off "in the bank" making nothing, well all I can say is good luck with that strategy.

I'm in my early 30s. I don't own any toys, and don't really have any hobbies other than helping dad on the farm. My wife got a brand new car a couple years ago, which is paid for. I don't have a vehicle, as I have a work vehicle that I can use for personal needs. My house is a newer but fairly basic ranch style home that I have almost 50% equity in and am paying for on a 15 year mortgage. My investments would pay off the mortgage and then some. I don't have any debt other than the mortgage. We take a simple family vacation each year, and the wife and I do go on a tropical vacation every few years. It might look extravagant on Facebook, but in reality those vacations are quite reasonably priced if you shop around at all. I'm willing to bet that my buddies who hunt & fish regularly spend a lot more on recreation than I do when you factor in the cost of all their gear.

I'm not telling you this to brag, but to show that not everyone who has a different lifestyle than you is some idiot swimming in debt, barely able to keep their head above water. That is another problem with the Ramsey approach - the hardcore followers seem to think that anyone who appears to be living better than them can only be doing so if they're financially irresponsible. Maybe they just make more money than you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)