AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some cover crop advice from the experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/31/2015 13:51 (#4762787 - in reply to #4762380)
Subject: RE: For Johnny Skeptical on fall NH3

Thumb of Michigan
johnny skeptical - 8/31/2015 08:25

so there must be something, here anyway, that's causing this.    wonder what that could be?

I have no idea why some would be switching back in your area. I used to sell a fair amount of NH3 across 4 counties, most converted to something other than NH3 at some point in time, usually put in their own storage for whatever they went to, and I know of no one who's went back to NH3 once they put in the infrastructure to handle something else.

Margins on NH3 are usually quite a lot higher "here" than other forms of N, not much for onfarm storage when it comes to NH3. Lots and lots of on farm storage for other forms. We have a river/Lake access for some products, but now a lot of 28% comes out of Ontario. Not far from my area, so freight is reasonable.

Many are accustomed to applying fert with a planter, thats usually the first shot of N a crop see's. Obviously, anyone strip tilling in the spring may be putting on a fair amount of N at that time. Side dressing with 28% is so much quicker than with NH3, can be done on a bit wetter soil, and takes so much less power, I.m thinking it would be tough to convince a die hard side dress guy to switch back to NH3. Still a fair amount of sugar beets (and saw some corn this year as well) that get urea broadcast as a side dress application. Or, urea and some product that has sulfur in it.

So, I don't know if its the large amount of on farm fert storage here thats different, the expense of applying one form over another, the fact that the cost per pound of actual N is a lot closer between forms of N here, or some other reason I can't come up with now.

Still doesn't really address fall applied N- which to be honest is a practice which really baffles me. Just haven't seen it in so many years, still surprises me that anyone does it.

Edited by pat-michigan 8/31/2015 13:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)