AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some cover crop advice from the experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tntfarm
Posted 8/30/2015 23:03 (#4762016 - in reply to #4760135)
Subject: RE: Need some cover crop advice from the experts

SE IL and SW IN
Dr Alexander is doing good work there at ISU and I would trust his results for my farm if I were in the area.

Assuming that you are in the Bloomington area, i would add 10# oats and 2# winter rape to the rye if seeding by Sept 20 or so. That far north, Cereal rye will produce more biomass more reliably than most other species that try to use both sides of winter.

Fall applied N programs were developed when N was cheap for the convenience and profit of the coop. Other posters have covered this well but i am sure you will not see any data from your supplier suggesting that anything but fall applied is the best. EPA sees N flushing out of tile lines as the cause of most hypoxia problems and will move soon to stop /reduce it.

I discussed this at length with Dr Alexander last winter, but even with a high OM soil actively mineralizing N, i would expect you to have an N deficit from planting to V8 or so without some N in a 2X2 at planting, assuming you get good growth from your rye. (pure speculation on my part from observations in lighter soils)

In your first year of this adventure I would suggest that you kill your rye earlier than you plan to in later years. The learning curve is greater than it should be.

Edited by tntfarm 8/31/2015 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)