AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some cover crop advice from the experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/30/2015 09:13 (#4760602 - in reply to #4760410)
Subject: RE: Need some cover crop advice from the experts

Thumb of Michigan
johnny skeptical - 8/30/2015 07:00

Pvafarm - 8/30/2015 17:27 I agree totally with Ty on can't believe fall N ever "shines". If we want to reduce nitrates in tile and groundwater fall N apps have to stop. Period. Its a bad practice here further north with major losses every year. I know guys will argue but they haven't tried alternatives. The alternatives are split apps in spring with planter and side dress. You CAN put on enough with the planter to avoid any slump before side dress and it really won't slow you down. It is a mindset change more than anything. As for covers helping? W. Rye is your best choice in a c-s rotation and our only choice here. Wheat is not a good choice as corn struggles behind it - think what it looks like when you plant into old trails behind the combine. As far as N uptake of rye? It will soak up extra N (residual) but to expect it to hold half your applied N is not realistic. Rye taken to grain uses 40-60 units of N total. How much do you think 12" rye takes up? Not much. Toss fall N in and you defeat the purpose of the cover.

do you guys dissing fall applied n have any data to back up your position?

I had that info- but part of it was done when I sold fertilizer, and that was many moons ago. More recently (and still over 10 yrs ago) there were many N studies done cooperatively by extension (among others) and farmers on timing of N applications in various rotations and in a variety of tillage situations. When I get home, I might be able to find some of it. Now, its all a "here" thing- but when all was said and done, I know of no studies that supported fall N applications here. None. Not economically, not agronomically.

The real reason it fall N began in the first place (again, "here) was that it was convenient for fertilizer suppliers. If thats important to your operation, keep on putting on fall N. Just as long as you're allowed to do so that is. Because "here", there was no other reason to fall apply N.

May sound like Pvafarm came across a little strong on his opinion. Fact is, I said almost exactly the same thing when I was speaking at a National No Till conference a while back. I might have came across as even more passionate in my distastes for fall N applications. Almost got lynched by a couple of corn belt guys afterwards. They had no data to back up their position that I was wrong and that fall N was fine, either, they just knew I was wrong. Difference at that time was that I farm within 10 miles of Saginaw Bay. Which is part of Lake Huron. All my land drains into the Great Lakes. 100% of it. And they didn't have that going on. Agriculture in Michigan had 2 big bulls eyes on its back at the time. One was off site phosphorus pollution, one was off site nitrogen movement. Many "here" decided that the correct thing to do was work at getting alternative environmentally friendly methods of fertilization in place before we were told we had too. Weird stance I know. But in the end, I think the bullseyes have gotten smaller anyway. Don't think any environmental issues can touch your farm? Maybe not- but just to keep things in perspective, Bay County Michigan outlawed the sale of any fertilizer containing P to anyone outside of agriculture about 15 yrs ago. I don't farm in Bay county, but have friends who do. That move got their attention....,.

*edited for spelling

Edited by pat-michigan 8/30/2015 09:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)