AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

deer damage pics. difference between 2 varieties
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bsfarms
Posted 8/30/2015 04:04 (#4760344)
Subject: deer damage pics. difference between 2 varieties

south central WI
Not the best pics but it's dark now and I have time to kill waiting on manure pump. We have heavy deer pressure. This is a field near the woods. The 32 headland rows are one variety, then he switched and the inside are another. The deer apparently enjoy the dekalb 57-75 more than the inside variety. I don't know what that one is, but should be a dekalb smart stax also. I mentioned to him that the corn at my place has a tremendous amount of damage this year, and he looked it up and it was this variety. 57-75 should be a smart stax I believe.

We used to run a big test plot, I guess we still do. When it was only 2 rows of each variety, deer would mow down 2 rows and leave the ones next to it. Originally they ate the conventional and left the bt corn. We don't plant any conventional anymore so they pick their favorite GMO now. Personally I don't think it matters mixed in a ration as corn silage. They eat what we give them. When given a choice in a field though, they definitely have a favorite flavor.

This field is around 30 acres, and 8+ acres is mowed down by the deer.

(20150822_091617.jpg)

(20150822_091603.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20150822_091617.jpg (127KB - 440 downloads)
Attachments 20150822_091603.jpg (106KB - 440 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)