AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PFT Minnesota
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

purplepride0
Posted 8/20/2015 10:52 (#4743368 - in reply to #4743335)
Subject: RE: PFT Minnesota

West Central MN (between MMF and Larson's)
zmracing - 8/20/2015 10:28

In our area in MN it looks great from the outsides of the fields but when I walk in a few rows we seem to have a lot of poor ears. I was blaming it on the wind that we had earlier but maybe it is similar in other areas in MN too. I haven't really checked our fields that didn't get the wind but I bet I will do that before the day is over. Our corn looks like it could be well over 200  from the outside of the fields but I would believe the 170 number when I walk into our fields. I am thinking it might be a good time to lift some hedges.

From What I see ear populations are off a couple thousand per acre from optimum. Early planting followed by the 2-3 weeks wet reduced stand. In other cases plant was there but was a late merger sitting in a dry or cold pocket came up later. At the end of the day a decent stand but not the 34,000 a lot of people planted. Ear counts that I'm seeing around are more like 32-34 on the best fields, and 27,28-30 on the "average" fields. Poor Fields with 20-24 or less due to green snap and or hail are out there as well. The Windshield scouters are going to be disappointed as there is more snap than most realized and lower ear count than most realize. On a positive note I am seeing generally better row counts, Higher % of 18's than "normal".

6 Corn Fields of our own:
2 look above APH by 20+ Bu
2 received 2 Hails and 80 MPH winds = 30-40 bu below APH (hopefully)
1 received the 80MPH winds= 20 bu below APH (hopefully) Will be places real good and places real bad
1 received the 2 Hails and Wind but not the brunt of either = -10 bu below APH

If the 2 that look good do REAL good= APH for farm avg. If they just do good then 5-10 below APH for the farm avg.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)