AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4650 MFWD front end question (steering cylinders)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 9/28/2006 07:52 (#47282 - in reply to #47211)
Subject: Re: JD 4650 MFWD front end question (steering cylinders)

Ethridge, TN

"83" model, uses the ZF front end. These are actually a steering "assist" cylinder. Unless you are running saddle tanks, nose mounted tank, or a loader on this tractor, you can take the cylinders off and plug the ports. Even if using the above mentioned items you can take them off, just that you will need to be moving for it to steer easily. I don't think they ever put the additional cylinders on the JD built front ends, but maybe it was optional???

I have a 4850 that we bought as a project tractor, and the cylinders where pitted from it having set for a while. Took them off, plugged the ports, and it has been fine. Even have the 18.4x28's running on the front of that one, but the most weight we ever have on the front is a full rack of weights, 20 of them.

Wanted to add, make sure you keep those center pivot pins greased. If they show any slop in them, replace the bushings now!!! Eat into that housing and it can get quite pricey. I make this part of daily greasing just to make sure they keep taking grease easily. 

Edited by ChrisOH 9/28/2006 07:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)