AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Truck engines, what's best?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 9/30/2008 21:38 (#472461 - in reply to #472377)
Subject: RE: Truck engines, what's best?

Iowa
For CAT engines only; I like the 2000-2001 C-15 (single turbo) the best(Serial number 6NZ prefix). CAT cured the oil seepage complaints at the front and rear covers with this C-15 design over the previous 3406E block design. The C-15 is also about 200 lbs lighter( Designers eliminated the casting where the old 3406B/C cam bearings used to go in the block). Heck, the 1996-1999 3406E have been pretty reliable, IF you didn't mind a little oil seepage, sometimes. I am not a big fan of CAT's twin turbo engines(2003-2006), but mainly because they are harder and more time-consuming to work on (READ $$$). More items to fail also(two turbos, precooler, VVAs, harder to change water pump or oil cooler, if necessary). No farmer wants the new emissions engines (2007 and newer) from any manufacturer in my opinion. On engines up to 430 HP: the C-12 isn't too bad. It originally had some issues with head gaskets, but all of them have probably been updated with the latest gasket, new head bolts, and new tightened procedure which really fixed that problem(Very Reliable repair). Early in the C-12 era, there was a problem with cam follower roller bushings coming loose. Again,CAT redesign it for and increased press fit, And I haven't seen this failure for quite a while. Note: CAT engineers said that the C-12 was the most reliable engine that they had ever produced from when it FIRST left the factory assembly line. (you know that when a new product is released, you kinda expected to have some unforeseen problems, initially. The C-12 was good one right from the start, in their eyes) Less warranty issues/cost to CAT.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)