AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need recommendation for early maturing wheat for Ohio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 7/21/2015 07:26 (#4691316)
Subject: Need recommendation for early maturing wheat for Ohio

northeastern Ohio
I finally finished with wheat the other day and starting to plan for next year. After the miserable wheat harvest this year (too much rain in June and July!!!), I wish I could drop it out of my rotation. But we need straw every year.

So, I am thinking of trying some super early maturing wheat on some acres next year. I know that Becks had some early wheat that they advertised a couple years ago, but I haven't heard much about it since then (did it flop?). What other varieties should I consider? I am not worried about grain yield, but would like a decent crop of straw.

I've looked at the OSU plots and there seems to only be about a 4 day difference in heading date across all varieties that they have tested. I assume that heading date is closely related to maturity date. I've been planting Sunburst, which falls right into the middle of the heading dates. It is the shortest height variety and does not make much straw, but it never goes down even when double dosed with nitrogen. But I would like to find a variety with more straw and have an earlier maturity so that I could possibly double crop to soybeans (2012 was the only year that I was able to harvest early enough to do double crop soys).

Any one have a recommendation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)