AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fertility on leased ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nwks
Posted 7/12/2015 19:56 (#4676180 - in reply to #4676128)
Subject: RE: Oxymoron

lawfarms - 7/12/2015 18:34

ox·y·mo·ron

noun
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction.

I think fertility on leased ground falls in this category.

If you build fertility and grow better crops then the landlord wants more money....

If you don't fertilize you get a weak crop that gets diease easy and you spend more trying to rescue the crop with bandaide fixes.

If you build the fertility and another farmer within 3-4hrs of the farm sees your landowner around he's gonna offer him more money, or may have already talked to him....lower grain prices and crappy weather here might slow things down here though.

It might be better to wait and save up to buy a farm when it comes up for sale vrs giving most of the profit off the farm to the landowner and fix his land so he can get more $$$ from it or sell it for more $$$$$ with a good looking crop on it.

Another thing to think about is 1 more farm means ? more days of planting, combine, trucking, field work ect and the margins are razor thin then one thing goes wrong your not gonna make a profit it's not worth missing the kids ball game or supper at the kitchen table with the family. Kids are only small once.

Well said, so how does a young potential farmer ever get a start? So far the proposed lease is all in favor and protecting the owner. How do I protect me and how do I compete in a market that is willing to steal from one parcel to pay for another just to say they farm "more"?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)