AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frosted Corn Update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Maizeing
Posted 7/12/2015 11:29 (#4675315)
Subject: Frosted Corn Update

Ontario's middle east
Almost a month ago I posted a thread with some corn that froze May 23rd.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=562288&posts=9...

I thought I would give you an update on that. At that time we were being told that the corn that lost 4 leaves would just carry on and when it regrew 4 leaves it would actually be 8 leaf corn. When that happened, it was only 6" high which prompted me to say we had 1 of 2 situations. 1 being that if that little corn was 8 leaf, we had a big problem coming or 2. The corn had gone back to 1st leaf corn and started over. I had no idea if that was even physically possible. Looking at plants now, the unfrozen corn is poking tassels and the frozen corn, I have to pull the whorl and unwrap several leaves to find the tassel. From that I would suggest that the theory of the plant just carrying on as if nothing happened is false. Maybe true on smaller 1-2 leaf corn? IDK. Fwiw, a seed guy told me their frost studies are pretty much created by mowing corn to simulate the removal of top growth. I will suggest there is more to the story than that, possible hormonal changes in the plant from the frozen leaves? Maybe? Whatever the case, I feel a lot better about this farm than a month ago.

Aerial photos are from north end of farm, ground photos taken from south looking north.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (154KB - 110 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (175KB - 99 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (86KB - 102 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)