AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tile question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

matt suco
Posted 7/12/2015 10:48 (#4675263)
Subject: Tile question

Rome, KS
This question is from SC KS. No one tiles ground around here. Doesn't seem necessary in a land of perpetual drought interspersed with floods. But I have some questions.

I farm an 80 that has less than 1/2% slope. It seems to get a 2 or 3" rain at the wrong time 8 out of 10 years. It will either drown out wheat after heading or corn after planting. This year it probably drowned out 70 out of 80 acres of wheat. Normally it's about 25 acres that gets damaged in one way or another. The ground is classified as Tabler soil in the soils book. It's flat and black for 2' with red tight subsoil underneath. Percolation is very slow. Rippers do no good for infiltration. Can't keep a stand of alfalfa due to waterlogging to try to help infiltration.

Please explain how tile works and how a person would go about tiling something like this. What would the cost to do this be roughly. I also farm the 80 to the south of it that has more natural drainage to it. The entire quarter slopes to the south. It also gets water from the 80 to the north. It jumps across the road onto this field. Road ditches can't handle the water and so I get it.

I don't own any of this ground. The same landowners have for the last 40 years. I have a good idea they could have paid for this project several times down through the years with lost crop revenue.

Help a dry flatlander out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)