AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need some soybean herbicide advice...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Herbie56
Posted 7/10/2015 07:39 (#4671434 - in reply to #4671039)
Subject: RE: need some soybean herbicide advice...

Coles County, Illinois

I want to save my PPO chemistry for that last chance post spray. That takes Valor out of the Pre program. Prowl seems to be the best choice around here for a pre but it needs some help to get to that early to mid June cut-off date for FlexStar. I added Metribuzin. Part of the Metribuzin went on tank mixed with the Prowl and incorporated. Part got a separate trip pre-emergent. Although the pre-emergent application had better control, getting it on before a rain and before the soybeans emerge is a stressful gamble. The flip side is the tank mixing/pre-plant option limits the use of row cleaners. I had to halt soybean planting and switch to spraying this spring to get it on in time.

As far as using PPO's post in soybeans, I think one needs to go with a modified 21 day rule. I start looking for weeds 14 days after planting. As I approach 21 days I really look closely. I spray at 28 days whether I see weeds or not. If I was @21 days and rain was forecasted I would spray even if no weeds were visible.

As far as which PPO, Generic FlexStar seems to fit. It has a longer residual than Cadet or Cobra and is cheaper. It'll take down larger Waterhemp than Cadet (4 leaves not 4 inches) and offers some residual. IMO Cadet only works on Waterhemp that is too small to tell for sure that it's Waterhemp. If I did not get a chance to spray FlexStar and the Waterhemp got to 3" I would switch to Cobra. I keep some in stock as buying Cobra in season gets expensive.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)